Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Un apartement, c'est incroyable!

09 Septembre, 2008

Living the dream

Last Sunday, Greg and I walked through a part of town called Antigone, which is a part of Montpellier close to la Comedie and the center of the city. It’s very new and clean (something of note in this city), very close to the river and full of restaurants, shopping and open spaces (another commodity to note in a European city). Greg had called to look at an apartment there and we were supposed to look at it this Thursday (two days from now), but he was pretty nervous about getting it. Since it would be a popular apartment, trying to rent it to two college-age guys, one of whom is un americain may be not as likely as some of the other people who we knew would be looking.

Fortunately, the Lord had other plans in motion. Greg got a call today from the landlord, saying that someone had cancelled for tonight and if we were free, we could come see the apartment instead. We jumped at the opportunity, and met this extraordinarily well-dressed pair of women outside the apartment building. The building itself was beautiful, a huge semi-circle front facing the river, and when we stepped into the apartment, we were even more impressed. It was completely furnished, and furnished very nicely at that. Both Greg and I were sold instantly on the place. Greg let them know, and a flurry of French later we were sitting down and talking through the paperwork. Before I knew it, we had set up a time to meet tomorrow to sign all the papers and we’d receive the keys.

Let me pause to explain how significant this is. This was an apartment that Greg found without an agency, which is a rental place that literally you can find in almost every single neighborhood in the city. Agencies will help you find just the right flat or apartment, but will charge you upwards of 800 € (these days equivalent to almost $1200) for the convenience. As you can imagine, this is something we were very interested in avoiding. Also, the French have a certain system in place to insure that renters always pay their rent, requiring every renter to have what is called a guarant. This is someone who must be a French citizen and have a regular monthly income equivalent to two or three times the rent of the apartment. Usually this is accomplished with a parent or close relative. Not having any relatives who are French citizens, nor knowing anyone in France other than the other Americans in Montpellier, this presented a considerable issue for me.

The landlord for this apartment asked about my guarant and I told Greg that I didn’t know who was going to be my guarant yet. He asked me if I could know today or tomorrow. I said that I would try, but I didn’t know. It’s sort of a big issue, because if something were to happen that I would not be able to pay my rent, my guarant would be legally bound to pay my rent for me in that situation. The landlord asked Greg how much money I make monthly, and we discovered that since (before benefits, taxes, insurance and other things) I make enough money each month, I can be my own guarant. This was news to us, and very good news to me! I would be required simply to bring documentation of my monthly income (which I have from applying for my visa anyway) and my French bank account information and voila! I will be in business.

We left the apartment rather exuberant, and to celebrate went out to eat at a pizzeria in town. It was very good, and afterwards suddenly the 20 minute walk to the Skurs’ place didn’t seem quite so long and sketchy. Praise the Lord for his provision of a place to live! I also got my first package from the US today – all of my books, music and a surprise package of chocolate chips! (thanks, mom!)

Ce soir, tout est beau.

No comments: